on deciding what I would make for dessert last night, I thumbed through my google reader favorites, along with the printed out items I had saved from past eye catching blogs, websights, and other places. Not overly impressed with anything for our anniversary dessert my thought came to, I'll see whats new on the google reader today. Maybe there will be something delish there. And Oh was there ever. Anything with Bananas and Dessert will always be a success in my house. Banana's Foster Bread Pudding. Heaven. Really anything from the Brown Eyed Baker is Heaven, this one was just meant-to-be..
Bananas Foster Bread Pudding
2 egg yolks
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup ripe bananas, pureed or finely mashed (about 2 medium bananas)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1¾ cups heavy cream
1 large French bread loaf (about 5-6 cups torn up)
Bananas Foster Sauce (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. In a large bowl combine the eggs and egg yolks and whisk until frothy.
3. Add in nutmeg, cinnamon, banana puree, and vanilla extract. Whisk until fully incorporated.
4. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar, whisking until fully incorporated.
5. Add in cream and whisk until incorporated.
6. Add bread pieces to egg mixture. Miix with a spoon or spatula until the bread has absorbed most of the custard mixture.
7. Pour the mixture into an 8×8 baking dish. Let sit for 30 minutes.
8. Place bread pudding in a slightly larger pan and add about 1 inch of hot water to the larger pan to make a water bath.
9. Bake uncovered for approximately 1 hour, or until the custard is no longer runny. Serve warm with Bananas Foster Sauce.
Bananas Foster Sauce
½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 bananas, sliced
3 tablespoons rum
1. Heat a large skillet over low heat.
2. Add butter and brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly, just until sugar begins to melt into butter.
3. Add banana slices. Moving the skillet back and forth, cook for 1 minute.
4. Remove skillet from heat and add the rum. Return the pan to the stove and tilt the pan to ignite the rum.
5. After the alcohol burns off add the cream. Whisk to make sure it is fully incorporated.
Adapted from Culinary Concoctions by Peabod
heaven. heaven. heaven